Friday, June 26, 2009

namesnamesnames

So. I've been a name geek since long before I got pregnant (or even started trying for a baby). I love the Freakonomics side of it all and the cultural trends. (The Baby Name Wizard site is my favorite with all of the graphs and trends by state, socioeconomic status, political beliefs, etc.)

Anyway, I stumbled on this site and am enjoying the Seven Deadly Trends (though having to grit teeth and ignore spelling errors like "running a muck" and "scew").

I'm also thinking about printing out the Alternate Top 100 names for Boys and Girls to take to the hospital along with a highlighter. One of the things I found particularly interesting about those two posts is that the author wrote this in the intro to the boy list: 

People have always been willing to take more of a chance with their daughters’ monikers, so don’t be surprised if many are out of your comfort zone.

Interesting. And opposite from what I see on our working list of possible names. Our girl names are almost exclusively from the top 100 and our boy names are mostly among her suggested alternates. 

No comments: