1. When are you due?
2. Is it a boy or a girl?
3. Have you chosen names?
Ahh. Names. Have we ever chosen names. Our list stands at 12 girl names and 11 boy names. Every time we go to narrow the list, we end up adding more instead.
A few weeks ago, when I was still at work and needed something to occupy my time while I was watching kids take standardized tests all day every day, I took a tip from one of the baby name web sites or books and tried making some anagrams using the letters in Damian and Ashley.
What I came up with, looked surprisingly similar to the official working list. 9 of the 12 girl names (but only 2 of the 11 boy names, though they are the two front-runners) are anagrams of our names. And of those that are left, a lot of them have sound similarities to our names (particularly Damian), like a matching or rhyming syllable or the same vowel sounds. This is not something we did intentionally.
Here's an example of how we subconsciously ended up with a long list of tribute names. A few months ago, I downloaded some Coltrane albums, including the song 'Naima.' When I saw it, I thought it was such a pretty name, plus the cool jazzy connection definitely helped me like it more. The other day I was putting music onto my iPod (music to put in my pants to get the kid to flip, if I'm being honest) and looked more closely at that name I like: Naima. Add a D to the end and reverse it. It's freaking Damian! I completely didn't notice this when I had my 3-day love affair with Naima as THE name early in pregnancy.
So, when this kid is on the outside and we decide on its name, check it out. I bet we name it after us, whether we meant to or not.
1 comment:
Funny! Pretty name though.
Post a Comment