Monday, February 27, 2006

In the Drink and a Time Warp, or: The Post Brought to You by the Number 6

I got so hooked on Dancing With the Stars. Shit, yo. Those people can dance. And I was cheering for Drew Lachey (brother of Nick), who, by the way (if you are one of the, oh, *everyone* who didn't watch) TOTALLY WON!!

In other television news. I'm watching Martha right now, as I do most nights at 6. She made mixed drinks with Megan Mullally. One of the reasons I watch Martha is because I think it's so funny how excited she gets about liquor, particularly vodka. So they made their drinks and drank them. Then Martha moved on to a segment about using sea glass and ceramic tiles in a mosaic tabletop. I'm pretty sure she was a little drunk. Seriously. Megan, if you missed it this morning, TLC, 6 pm. Hilarious. Best show ever.

One of the many perks of the new job is access to a big, huge, brand new pool. Rock. I finally made use of it today. It turns out that I am really fucking out of shape. I nearly drowned. Not really, but I was struggling. I feel so old. I've been running semi-regularly (okay, not really, but the two miles I did on Saturday were fairly cake) and power yoga more regularly, so I'm not at my most sluglike (though the television play-by-plays might make you think otherwise). And swimming has always been my cheat. Running=hard, swimming=easy. Sigh. Not so today. I was sore the second I got out of the pool. Sore! From swimming! Then I was all, "But I used to be so *good* at this! What happened?" Yeah. Apparently six years happened. It's been six years since I've been swimming for anything other than recreation.

When I got back from studying abroad in England, along with twenty pounds of Cadbury's chocolate smuggled past customs as ashleyfat, I hauled my ass out of bed at 6 am to go swim everyday. 6 am! In college! And I loved it. I can't believe it's taken me this long to get back in a pool.

Mark my words. Six weeks and this will be me:



Obviously I'll be the short one with dark hair. Only with fewer Detroit arrests for possession of cocaine. That's not how I roll.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Man, you guys put me to shame... I finally went to the gym on Saturday (the first time in a month) and was sore the next day. I was only there for 30 minutes.