Friday, April 10, 2009

Children of the Corn Blanket

New project!! I somehow stumbled across this pattern on Ravelry. Pretty, right? Stripey and simple and made of 100% corn.

That's right, corn. Who knows how they thought of making yarn from corn, but I'm glad they did.

Here's the beginning of my attempt at this:



I love this yarn. It’s so soft and the colors are really beautiful--with the exception of jade, which looks kind of grey against the vibrance of the others. It looks even more grey in that picture. The colors that are still to come:



The colors are so much prettier than they look in the pictures. Particularly Jasper, which is a gorgeous lilac-y lavender. I want to knit my world in that color.

I've changed the pattern in the following ways:
1. instead of going back and crocheting a border (I don't know how) I'm knitting a seed stitch border in Peridot (a bright yellow green that totally looks like silly string): 8 rows at the bottom & top, 8 st at each end.

2. I’m using 11 colors (simply because that’s how many colors I really liked and decided I could afford) and doing 3” stripes of each. That worked out to 20 rows on my size 5 needles.

Most of the yarn came from MyKnitch which had it cheaper than anywhere else I could find, and the colors I couldn't get there came from a nearby yarn store. I'm using Turquoise, Pearl, Garnet, Jade, Citrine, Jasper, Fire Opal, Peridot, Coral, Topaz, Tiger's Eye. 1 skein of each, except Peridot. I started with two of that one, but might need another to finish the stripe and the border.

2 comments:

Gabe, Megan, Oscar and Rory said...

It's turning out great! Can't wait to see more. Also, the word "Corntastic" is awesome.

Heather Booth said...

Very cool! We were gifted a corn blanket (from Iowa friends, appropriately) and for it's thinness, it is surprisingly warm.