Early in this pregnancy, I saw this rug at a baby store. It was soft and amazing and I decided that this kid (or me, whatever) really needed it. I liked the round one but it's small, and the size we need in the rectangular version is more than $400.
Are you kidding me? If I'm paying that much for a rug, it had better not be made from old T shirts for fuck's sake.
Then I joined Pinterest. So many hacks! So many crafty, DIY ideas! So many terrible-looking recipes and inspirational quotes that make me roll my eyes!
One of the first things I came across was this tutorial for the very rug I'd given up on!
I hit the thrift store and bought every orange T shirt I could find, scrounged D's closet and mine, picked up a giant piece (54"x60") of rug canvas at Hobby Lobby, and I've got the makings of a rug for about $60. Yay!
Problem, though. I just counted the squares on my canvas and, oh holy shit. Math time. I'm going to need, let's see, 200 squares across, 226 down. Each scrap goes in one square and out the other, so that's 100 scraps per row for 226 rows ... TWENTY-TWO THOUSAND, SIX HUNDRED SCRAPS OF T SHIRT.
Thank god I got a rotary cutter, too.
Monday, February 20, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment