Thursday, August 05, 2010

Mama's Milk

Break out the hoppy beer, yo. It's World Breastfeeding Week!

I think that breastfeeding is a good thing. I was committed to it from the start; I read and prepared and took the class through my hospital before LD was born.

And, yay! We did it! I'm so, so super awesome!

No.

I was very, very lucky.

Breastfeeding worked out for LD and I, even when I went back to work. I know that this doesn't happen for everyone and that there are women who work much harder than I did and still can't make it work.

I have a hard time saying that I think breastfeeding is important and that everyone should try without feeling like I'm coming across as smug: I could do it, so can you!

I wish.

Leave it to the wonderful Julie to articulate what I can't:

It's short. No pressure. Try. If works, you can enjoy it. If it doesn't work, you can get help. If it still doesn't work, you can stop. And none of it has to linger, not for very long.

No comments: