Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Sucking My Will To Live

The Murder, She Wrote marathon was a total bust. I don't know if they changed their minds or what, but it was definitely not on. At all. I hate those bastards.

I'm losing my mind. And I can only blame the neoteens I'm teaching for it.

I just had four days off. Four days and lots of laundry. So I got a jump on it early in the weekend. Sheets, towels, rugs ... all got done. I decided to wait until yesterday to do clothes, so all the clothes would be clean when I went back to work. I forgot all about it. I wasn't putting it off or anything. D and I sat around in our pajamas all day yesterday. It really wouldn't have been a hardship to toss in a load or four of laundry. I finally remembered around 7. Still enough time to get it all done. But after I put a load in, I forgot AGAIN. Then today, when I got home, yes. I forgot again.

See? And as if memory erosion weren't bad enough, I'm so boring that I'm posting long paragraphs about forgetting laundry. After a month, this is all I have.

Okay, I feel ridiculous complaining about my summer job. I make about 4 times what I'd be making at any other job I might have gotten this summer. And it's only five hours a day and only a month long. But, seriously yo. I hate it. First, they sent me in there like a lamb to the slaughter. There is no plan, no curriculum. So every day, I have to scramble for something to do.

And these kids are, um, challenging. They are the kids who barely passed. They have learning disabilities (which I'm not allowed to know about but for which I am expected to make accommodations) and behavior issues. They hate being there because it's summer vacation. They have no incentive to do anything because they don't get a grade. Or anything really for being there, other than their learning. You try to tell sub-par students that they should complete assignments for their personal enrichment. The laughter should die down just in time for class to be over.

Eight more days in class. 24 total in-class hours. I can make it.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Give them an assignment about taking pictures of fruit that look like boobs, or boobs that look like fruit!