It's supposed to start snowing here any second now and I'm torn. I love the snow. Can't get enough of it. However, snow in the DC area is a whole 'nother beast, my friends. The road crews, they are not so good at dealing with the snow. They like to throw sand on it. Not so much salt, mind you, but sand. So that's, um, helpful. Also, all of the people around here who have questionable driving skills on a good day totally lose their shit when it snows. I'm looking forward to some adventurous driving this week.
On the other hand, I can't wait for snow! It almost never snows here before Christmas (this year we even got it before Thanksgiving), so this is a super treat for me. And we're supposed to get "a lot," which means 3-6 inches. (Megan, stop laughing.) So there's a chance it might even look pretty. Generally the snow here is just slushy slop, rarely the fluffy beautiful stuff of Bing Crosby movies and Michigan.
Also on the yay side, last winter, my best commute days were the days it snowed because of the chickenshit factor: 1) Schools close if there's even a threat of snow, 2) People stay home when it snows, whether it sticks or not. Both of which reduce traffic volume and clear the way for me!
In other news, my car, it is a'dyin'. Yesterday, as I was headed out to a stitch and bitch, my trusty, reliable, never-gives-me-a-second's-problem car wouldn't start. It started, then it shuddered and died, then wouldn't catch again. While I was gone, D got it started by flooring it while turning the ignition (which, according to D, you shouldn't have to do with a car with fuel-injection). It's started fine since, but I'm a little concerned. The last thing I need is to be stranded on the other side of the beltway after work. So I have D's car for now. Which I may never give back. It turns out that you get a lot more respect in an SUV than in a Civic. Not one person cut me off or turned in front of me this morning. Amazing. And, believe me, it's not because people were suddenly driving nicer. Remember, there's a chance it might snow today. People have already started driving like maniacs.
Sorry, baby. Enjoy the fuel efficiency!
Monday, December 05, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Nope. That's not going to work for me.
I'm loving the snow, though mighty disappointed that there hasn't been a "snow day" yet... I mean, isn't that the whole point of living this far south?? Isn't that what makes all the 90-100 degree summer worth it? I'm crossing my fingers for tonight! :)
Yeah. No kidding. Even the schools weren't closed on Tuesday. What the hell? This is DC, people. Where is the unfounded widespread panic I've come to count on?
Post a Comment