However, even I cannot stomach 'The Christmas Shoes.'
"…It's Christmas Eve, and these shoes are just her size … And I want her to look beautiful--if Mama meets Jesus tonight…."
It is the most treacly piece of holiday garbage EVER. It's the musical equivalent of a Hallmark holiday movie. (In fact, it was made to accompany a made-for-CBS movie that I can only assume is just as cloying).
The gist is, this kid wants to buy his dying mama some shoes so she'll look hot when she meets Jesus on Christmas, but he doesn't have enough money so he tells his sad story to the stranger in line behind him.
Because nothing says Christmas like a manipulative child.
Also, dying women don't want shoes. They want robes, blankets, slippers, a good last meal. I would bet you the cost of those shoes that mama would have rather had her son home on Christmas Eve, rather than out panhandling to buy her some shoes.
No comments:
Post a Comment