Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Alaska Recap

I'm all time-zone whacked out. And ill. And I'm hoping that whatever ill I have was contracted yesterday on the plane and therefore did not endanger a baby. And I hope I never throw up on the Beltway ever again.

Alaska was great. But really far away. Which, you know, I conceptually knew, but getting there and being there really drives home the far awayness of it. And everywhere you look there are really sharp dramatic mountains. And it snowed! And Megan's husband, Gabe, (with no prompting from either of us) cranked up the Christmas tunes. And we watched Elf! And drank Starbucks seasonal libations! And there was a moose right outside their apartment! And moose are effin' HUGE! I'd seen a moose before in Minnesota, but it was mostly underwater so it's more fair to say that I've seen a moose head whereas this was full-body moose exposure and it was REALLY big.

And I totally got to babysit so they could have a date and it was wonderful (even though I did end up with a shirtful of my childhood friend's breast milk which was weird when I thought about it, but surprisingly not weird otherwise). And the baby is amazing. He's really big. Much more solid than I expected. You know, 6 week olds are usually still a little unsteady and such. Not Oscar. He's a brute.

No comments: