By request, a Maggie update
The Maggot has returned to us from reform school. I guess she was more of a challenge than the usual dog they see; the 7-10 day stay turned into 15.
I picked her up on Saturday and they gave me a little demonstration of what she had learned. Then I took her home where she slept more than I have ever seen a dog sleep. She was like a college kid home for the weekend. The next day, she was back to herself.
More than $700 later, she’s still pretty much the same dog.
I’m hopeful, though. Here’s why:
1) When we come home, she’s quiet in her crate with her paws crossed. Before she would be barking, thrashing, and covered in slobber (we don’t know how or why since she isn’t a slobbery dog). Her separation anxiety is much, much better.
2) We have exercises. The first stage is to work with her on a leash. Even though it’s still hard to get her to listen day-to-day, the second we put that leash on, she is at attention and obedient. I think that as we progress through the lessons, the rest will get better.
We will see. I'll take her back for individual training for the next 4-6 weeks (or in Maggie's case, the next 4-6 months) then we graduate to group therapy. There's not a total turnaround, but we're only about one-fifth of the way through the program.
I did get some peace of mind that she wasn't acting like this because we leave her alone all day. They guessed that the problem stemmed from trying to wean her off the crate way too soon.
Friday, September 30, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment