Friday, January 21, 2011

Read Any Good Books Lately?

As a librarian, everyone always assumes that I'm a voracious reader. Nope. I hardly ever read. I think I read two books for pleasure in 2010. Maybe 3. (Who knows. LivingSocial's book site seems to be on hiatus. How am I supposed to know what I have read or want to read?)

I used to read. A lot. Before literature classes in college and reading for a living ruined it for me. And, technically, I do still read. This week I read Bad Kitty Gets a Bath, Cowboy & Octopus, Dog and Bear, Too Many Toys, and Rhyming Dust Bunnies six times each to a total of 350 students. Every week, I spend roughly seven and a half hours reading out loud.

Then I come home and read to my own kid.

So, pretty much the very last thing I want to do when I get home is curl up with a book, good or otherwise. I want to curl up with a glass of wine and solitaire on my iPhone, Modern Family on my DVR, and shut the hell down.

I do miss reading, though, and I'm constantly coming across books I want to read. (If I could get on LivingSocial, I could tell you just how many books I have on deck.) I'm not one for resolutions (I have zero willpower as evidenced by my still-bitten fingernails), but if I were going to make one for 2011, it would be to make more time for reading for pleasure. Not children's books, not YA books, not baby board books, not MS Living, not School Library Journal. P-L-E-A-S-U-R-E.

First up, Margaret Atwood's Year of the Flood. Anyone read it? Also, since I seem to be totally stuck on this, what are your thoughts on GoodReads vs. Shelfari vs. LivingSocial Books?

No comments: