Thursday, September 04, 2008

Talisman

Today I left the house without kissing my husband goodbye. I don't think I've ever done this in four years of marriage and seven years of living together.

 

All he did was ask why I never help him around the house in the morning or before bed. Which is true.

 

Especially in the morning. He leaves after I do so he feeds the cat, lets the dog out, turns the pool on and shuts the pets in their rooms so they don't destroy each other or our house. At night we take turns feeding the pets, though admittedly he's been doing it more than I have recently.

 

We're talking about 5-10 minutes of chores here. Not a big deal.

 

What is a big deal is that it picked a scab off of an argument we have over and over and over. D makes it clear that he thinks that he does all of the work around the house and never recognizes what I do. Clean laundry magically appears in the bedroom. A bedroom which (lately) is also magically clean. Our refrigerator generates its own food.

 

I don't want an award; I don't even care if he thanks me for doing these things (which does sometimes happen). But I'm not going to take it very well when he gets all martyr-like and hints that he does everything.

 

But still. I left without kissing him. I never do that. And all the way to work I worried that I would never see him again and that this is they way I chose to leave. I had to talk myself out of going back. Because thinking that a kiss goodbye will keep him safe is crazy, right? Right?

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Sometimes it's the little things that get under our skin more often than the big deals that force us to have big conversations which lead to compromise. It happens. In our house though it's much worse to go to bed without a kiss... usually that means that one of us is stewing so much that they'll need to get up and go downstairs to cool off.