Friday, July 29, 2005

When Hyperbole Becomes Just Plain Bole

It's no secret that people in the D.C. area can't drive. This is especially true in any sort of adverse weather condition: rain, snow, sun. Yes, sun. But especially rain.

Once, when I worked downtown, I was outside getting lunch when it started to rain. As soon as maybe ten drops had hit the ground I heard emergency sirens in every direction. I'm not kidding.

So I always make the joke that as soon as it starts raining, everyone in their cars freaks out and jerks their wheel into the concrete Jersey barriers in the median. It's just a joke. A hyperbole.

But today, I saw it happen.

I was driving home on the beltway in the second lane from the left. In the left lane was a white van. It was sort of raining, but not enough to cause any hydroplaning. No puddles. This guy in the white van literally jerked his wheel and turned into the Jersey barrier for no reason. We were only going about 20 mph at the time, and the car in front of him didn't brake.

Now I need to find a new goddamn joke.

No comments: